Tuesday, January 30, 2007

El Hoopes

Okay, so maybe I won't be running cross country next school year.

But don't worry, I have a good reason.

I'm not afraid of the training, or the pressure, or anything like that - It's just that soccer happened.

For whatever reason, Lakeside has never had a soccer team. However, due to some interest, and a new soccer-loving teacher, we're getting a shot next year.

There will only be one team, and due to this being the first year of the program, it will only be a JV team. Luckily, seniors are allowed to play, so I have a shot at playing soccer in high school after all.

And there are a lot of benefits to playing soccer at Lakeside for me. The coach, also one of my favorite teachers, explained to my friend - one of the 5 or so other seniors who have expressed interest - that he's looking for some senior leadership, and would involve us in setting up the details of the program for years to come (right down to possibly designing the jerseys).

As someone who likes to be in the details (and possibly even competitive), and considering I just really enjoy soccer, this is almost impossible to pass up.

As for cross country, I'm a little disappointed that they have to be during the same season. I was looking forward to cross quite a bit, and I felt that the training and getting in shape would really be great. But I'll probably do just as much training for the upcoming soccer season, I'm certain I'll need it.

I'm already pumped for this possibility, even if it is just JV. It's the best thing available, unless I wanted to leave Lakeside, which would just be silly. There'll be tryouts though, so I've gotta stay on the top of my game.

And to think, all this for something more than 6 months away. It's just cool to think that we'll finally be able to say "Lakeside soccer".

I guess that's pretty much my excitement for now. Life gets a little busier next week, and that might not be such a bad thing. Maybe by then I'll have more to blog about than soccer.

So I'll catch you all later then.

P.S. Anyone wanna make a chicago road trip to watch the MLS? Steve I think we discussed this once.

1 comment:

becca said...

Well, I am disappointed that I won't be able to see you at basically every fourth cross country meet that we attend (we seem to run into lakeside a lot), but at least it is for soccer. My friend Stepf and I are already training for our up-and-coming season, and God-willing I will be able to play varsity. You'll have to watch that whole offsides rule though... you scored about 14 goals by breaking it over training week last summer.