Saturday, January 02, 2010

Light in the dark as I search for the resolution - 2010

Relationships
1. Finish the year proud of the relationship decisions I've made.
In the past year and a half, I've over-analyzed, acted before thinking, convinced myself of things I didn't believe, given up, and just about everything in between. This isn't particularly different from last year's, but with new wording comes new progress?

Experiences
2. Take a new pineapple picture
Some would call the pineapple/'myspace mirror shot' profile picture iconic. I mean, actually probably not, but I always felt like it captured me a bit better than any other picture could. I don't really look like I did as a sophomore in high school (or even close for that matter), so it could use an update.

3. Attend an NHL game
I've been to games in the NFL, MLB, NBA, MLS and several NASCAR races (in addition to 3 international soccer matches and lots of college football, basketball, hockey, and soccer), but despite being a pretty big fan of the EXTREMELY underrated National Hockey League (primarily the Tampa Bay Lightning) I've never been to a pro game. Obviously a lot of this would be chalked up to there not being a pro hockey team in Wisconsin, but that's a pretty bad excuse since I lived in an NHL market for a year. I'd like my first NHL experience to be a Lightning game, but I think I'd enjoy it either way.

(I like sports way too much for my own good. Being a Sportscenter anchor is like my dream job.)

4. Watch the DVD of "Hotel Rwanda" that I own
Because I got it for free at Target. It's probably a good movie, I'd imagine.

5. Drive in a state that I haven't driven in before.
Therefore, any state that isn't Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Florida or Georgia. Road trip implications! OR just a stupid day trip to Iowa and back.

6. Celebrate Stabby the Green Pepper Day
And hopefully get others to celebrate what is obviously a great holiday.

Personal Improvement/Achievement
7. Get a legitimate summer internship with a legitimate company.
Hopefully I'm in a much better position to get a respectable summer internship than I was last year. The biggest thing, though, is that even if I don't get the kind of resume-improving job that I want, I at least have a pretty solid job with the ol' Targs that I really wouldn't mind working all summer.

8. Play soccer competitively
I'm on the books with a local club team, but I've already had to turn down an invite to their first winter tune-up league. I'm hoping I can get to playing some tuneups with some of the guys on the team before hopefully joining up in time for the full 11v11 spring outdoor league. Intramurals eat your heart out, this is mildly legit!

How is this a resolution, you ask, if I'm already on the team? Well, the reason I haven't been able to play yet is that I've been way too busy with other stuff. Hopefully I'll have a better outlook next semester with improved classes and a diminished work schedule.

9. Do something creative on a large(r than usual) scale
Well this is generic. I do a fair amount of creative things throughout the year, but I'd like to create something for the sake of creating something. Record a new song, make a short film, write a book. None of that stuff is particularly productive, but it's refreshing. I'm not trying to write the great American novel or something, but it's an escape that I've been mostly keeping myself from.

10. Serve the Chapel in a capacity that I have not yet served
I'm a fan of the Chapel but I haven't been able to spend much time there in my first semester at Madison. I've lent a hand here and there but I'd like to get a lot more involved, whether that means being a housefellow or not.

11. Go Running
This doesn't even have to be regularly, I just haven't made an attempt at it in some time. I have a feeling that with a little training I'd be a whole lot better at it by now than I ever had been before.

12. Swear less
Ok, for serious this time.

13. Pay off my sophomore year student loans
It would be great to be just about caught up. Getting the first year free was a huge blessing.

14. Accomplish at least half of my New Year's Resolutions
Because last year's last resolution was a stretch.

No comments: