Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Proverbial Sunrise

I will be the first to admit that I have been well behind the curve for many of life's defining moments.

I didn't get my license until senior year of high school, I didn't start dating until college and I've still never been drunk.

However, today I have knocked off one of those things that everyone has done except me. I have finally pulled an all-nighter.

Well, I guess I haven't yet, but I am deep in the throes of one. I have only been awake 22 straight hours as of right now, but my classes don't end until 4:30, at which point I will have been awake 30 straight. Because I am obligated, assignment-wise, to go to both the first and last classes of my day.

And I'm feelin' ok right now. I originally had planned to go for a few hours of sleep, but at about 3:30 AM, still feeling productive with a lot still on the docket, I decided to call audible and go for the whole ball of yarn. The assist for the night goes to one of those huge cans of Starbucks Slurry. It's called an "Energy Coffee Drink" which admittedly makes me shudder a bit, but it didn't taste as bad as your standard Monster/Red Bull and kept me lively all night. I suppose I have finally turned to the dark side of coffee, although on the other hand I'm not sure if that stuff even counts as coffee. Either way, it's not something of which I wish to make a habit.

All told, it was really only a matter of time before I had to pull the ol' 24-in-a-row. College (especially Madison) is a lot of work, and I've gotten lucky on due date overlapping for the most part thus far, so eventually the luck had to run out.

And today was a veritable perfect storm. My to-do list contained an online quiz for Marketing, a 4 page paper, an unrelated speech, and 85 pages of reading in Journalism and 100 pages of reading about which I must lead a discussion today for Lit. Separately, not too big of a deal for any of those, but together it made for quite the Tuesday night.

Did I procrastinate somewhat? Yes. However, do you procrastinate somewhat? Yes. I'm just trying to make the best of it at the moment. Someday I will learn my lesson, potentially today if and when I hit the wall in a few hours during class. I still must give a speech today. Oh man.

I had a bunch of things to say concerning the journalism assignment itself, but that will have to wait. My efforts now must go into being able to stay awake for the next few classes.

No comments: