Monday, May 10, 2010

Semper Fidelis

Sometime this morning, one of my best friends got on a plane to San Diego to begin his time in the United States Marine Corps.

Caleb and I have grown very close over the last two years...we've made some really good memories, but, just as importantly, he's been there for me for some of my biggest learning experiences. Each one of those old posts features some aspect of my life that he was either a part of or had a direct impact on. I have really valued our friendship thus far, and have him to thank for so many good times and for helping me grow as a Christian man.

Therefore, it's difficult for me to fathom a summer without him. He'll be in basic training most of the summer, and I won't get to talk to him again until, at earliest, August. It's tough for me to think about, and I can only imagine what it's like for his family or Anna.

But I know that this is something that's really important for him. I remember how much it meant to him to get into the Naval Academy, and how crushed he was when he narrowly missed the cut. He has a genuine desire to serve his country, and his chance to do so is now. I know how driven he is to succeed and I know he'll work his tail off to get the most out of it that he can.

So while it's sad for me to say goodbye to a close friend for such a long time (along with the added uncertainty that comes with the possibility of plenty more military service down the road), I'm excited for him to be able to fulfill his dream of serving in the Marine Corps.

I wish him God's blessings on his time in the Marines, God's protection if he is ever deployed in battle, and for God to give him the strength to be the best Marine he can be.

So for now, good buddy, I'll be praying for you. I'll toast ya with a Sun Drop and (discreetly) listen to Taylor Swift in your honor.

Now go off to San Diego and give 'em hell...I'll have the cigars ready when you're done.

No comments: