Thursday, January 01, 2009

Light in the dark as I search for the resolution

Relationships
1. Get a girlfriend/improve relationships or whatever
I am intentionally leaving this one ambiguous because...I'm not really dying to have a girlfriend right now. Nor do I want to, actually at all. I am very much sworn off of girls until at very least summer, by which time I will probably be in an apartment (/the Chapel) in Madison with a job and a future in Wisconsin. Obviously I couldn't start dating again in Florida because I'll be leaving soon, and it's not worth trying to get something ready back home for my return. But that's not to say I want to be single all year...I'm just not ready for anything for the foreseeable future. Thus, the ambiguity. I'm not sure how all of this can be translated into a goal for the year, but I will say "I wish to make wise relationship decisions this year". Which leads me to my next resolution:

2. Spend no more than a month in "No Man's Land"
This actually stems from a discussion I had after midnight, but I felt it was a really good New Year's Resolution. The 6 or so people I was talking with described No Man's Land as "that awkward close friend, almost relationship zone" which is something that I have spent way too much time in. And it's not a good thing at all. I put that I want to have less than a month, because I realize there needs to be at least a little time there before a relationship can start, but I'd personally not like to spend any time there at all. Long forays into No Man's Land just haven't brought me anything but disappointment.

3. Find myself a good MLC marriage track girl
Heh.

4. There's also another half-facetious one that was lost on the cutting room floor.

Experiences
5. Go to at least one MLS game
This was on last year's, but the summer proved to be too busy. But this year I've already got 3 travel partners in line to hop down to Bridgeview and watch the Fire, of whom I have purchased a t-shirt. And I guess have pledged my allegiance to. I never wanted to commit to a team, but it may as well be the Chicago Fire. They are the closest to me right now, and being that Chicago is in my (tentative) long-term plans, they probably will be the closest team to me for some time yet.

6. Go Clubbing
I am in the right place, Tampa is a major clubbing hot spot. I want to go this summer with some high school friends too, but whether there is a club scene in Madison remains to be seen. I guess there's Milwaukee too, but I kind of hate Milwaukee.

7. Actually go to the beach.
Even though Tampa Bay is home to some of America's best beaches, I haven't been to any since I've been going to USF. Hopefully, I'll have a little more time to see some of the nicer parts of the area.

8. Remember to celebrate Stabby the Green Pepper Day

Personal Improvement/Achievement
9. Finish with a cumulative 3.9 GPA at USF
Which would require me to get four A's and one A-

10. Learn to cook passably
I would consider it a necessary step toward independence and well-roundedness.

11. Find a way to play soccer at least twice a month
I truly love it. The Sun Prairie foreign men league was pretty great last summer, maybe I can pick that up again this year. It would be great for staying (er...getting) in shape, and I think I'm just happier when I get to play regularly.

12. Keep the Lord in my life
I wanted a spiritual goal, but I couldn't pinpoint anything specific. Just as well. Spirituality isn't by nature a very specific thing.

13. Work and find enjoyment in it
I would like to be employed for second semester and the summer because I'm going to need to pay for college now, not to mention I could use the experience. The only other job I ever had, at Culver's, I truly despised. So, hopefully I can find a job I will enjoy (not food service) and will pay well so I can smoothly transition back home, financially speaking.

14. Swear less
Especially at Mario Party.

15. Get a scholarship
All the scholarship application trouble I saved by going to USF, I will get to experience this year as I try to find a way to pay for Wisconsin. I've got one external scholarship already, but the more the merrier. It's going to be a rude awakening to see all the money I saved this year evaporate in one semester.

16. Accomplish at least half of my New Year's Resolutions
Because I didn't last year.

1 comment:

becca said...

I have to know what number four was. Unless I don't want to.
You have quality resolutions.