Saturday, August 19, 2006

Sweet melody, you'll be singing in your sleep

Whoa. I bought a new CD - Like Vines, by the Hush Sound. It's really really good. In my opinion. And for the record, I knew about them before they went on tour with Panic. And now they're coming to Milwaukee with Jack's Mannequin. If I can get a ride, I'd be pumped.

For a few days last week I was at Camp for Jesus Cares. For those of you that don't know, Jesus Cares is a week or half-weeklong program at Camp Phillip for developmentally disabled adults. Wow, it was so much different from anything else I've ever done. It was at some points incredibly challenging, and at others, completely fun and rewarding. Everyone was kind of assigned to certain campers, although we kind of all helped with all the campers. The camper I was around most was probably Peter.

Peter was a pretty decent guy. He'd talk your ear off, usually about beating the ladies. If there was anything Peter would want to do, it was beat the ladies. Whether it was in lawn bowling, volleyball, swimming, sheepshead, you name it, Peter wanted to beat the ladies. It was kind of funny, if he got bored or tried to wander off from the group, you could always bring him back by suggesting that we "beat the ladies". He talked a lot about playing sheepshead, so I thought he could actually, you know, play sheepshead. Turns out, definitely not. So we played Jesus Cares Sheepshead - 6 people sit around a table and put cards face up in a pile. The dealer (Aaron Schulz) determines what those cards mean ("ohhh!! the 6 of spades!!! Now you have to switch places with someone else at the table, and then say 'hunka hunka love, baby!' before each turn!!!"). It was so fun to play with the Jesus Cares campers, they thought we were actually playing a real card game. And honestly, it was fun for the counselors too.

On the last night, they had a talent show, to showcase all the talents that the Jesus Cares campers had. Some of them had to be kind of a stretch (for instance, "smiling" or "being quiet") but for Peter, we played Jesus Cares Sheepshead. it was so fun to play on stage, because we're all acting enthusiastic about a game that's quite obviously being made up on the spot. Peter managed to "win" the game on stage. haha.

After Jesus Cares was over, I got a ride home with Ryan Ziche, who I hadn't really seen in a long time. It was pretty fun. Since then, I've been home for the last half-week before school starts.

Two nights ago, Evan and I went with Anna to see Pirates 2. It was the last showing of the night, and we were 10 minutes late, so they almost didn't want to let us in, because we were the only people coming to see it, and they didn't want to start the movie late. The lady let us in anyway, I think because we were being super polite and understanding about it. Thanks, lady at the movie theater.

I kind of liked the movie, all but the ending. And a few things were not explained very well, and the organ on the ship? That was just kind of dumb. Don't worry if you haven't seen it yet, the organ plays such a small part. I'm not giving away the movie for you.

And last night, Evan and I went to Sun Prairie to play footie with Jake and Jordy as we do so often. Dave was there too, so this was just an exhibition, but crazy fun anyway. As usual. We also watched all of "The Office" season one, but I fell asleep during the second episode. Nothing against The Office, I was just really really tired. Then we hung around the Hanke household until about 1:30 ish.

Evan and I were home then, with the afternoon and evening free to us. So what did we do? Why, finish off the recording for the first full-length album of Earth, Wind, and Beatbox! Oh man, what a quality piece of recording. It should be ready to go on sale by September 1st. We haven't set a price yet, but it will probably be at around $2.00 or less. So exciting, this will be the first full-length album by either of us, even with Eisenhower's existence.

I guess that about does it. Oh, by the way, if there are even any people that read this who don't belong to blogspot, I opened comments up for you guys too. Evan is trying it out, and it seems like a pretty good idea. So just leave your name and stuff if you do in fact feel the need to comment.

Cheers.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Yeah for the movie theater lady. If she were here now, I would give her something totally awesome, like free candy. Love all the camp stories today. Actually I always love all the camp stories.

Have a good rest of the summer.