Sunday, March 11, 2007

To better explain the last title...

It's from this song by the band "Socratic". They are musically really good, and I like to listen to them, but their lyrics are so bad that it almost ruins them. They have this one song called "Tear a Gash", and I really like it, except that it has the worst lyrics on the entire album. It's going pretty good for a while, but the the refrain comes, and all semblences of rhyming are destroyed.

I'm leaving, but before I go, I have just 2 demands
When you look in mirrors, realize how gorgeous you are
Tear a gash in your wedding dress, those bells could have rang for us
I have kids with you in my mind.


I suppose the lead singer is distraught over this woman he liked and the fact that she is getting married, but he spends the entire second verse going into detail about how he explains to his made up kids that they are made up, and the whole thing seems disturbing. The lines at the end of that verse:

I have a confession for you, my son
This woman I obsess about, she doesn't exist
The world you live in is fake, I made the whole thing up


So not only do these lyrics not flow, they are disturbing too. I don't like them one bit. They are strange. It's really a shame, because the song is so good.

Anyway, Socratic aside, this week is going to be nuts.

I have a major forensics meet tomorrow, all the way in the vast metropolitan city of Berlin, Wisconsin, which in reality is about the size of Lake Mills, except about 2 hours away. I will be home late, but I'm feeling pretty good about our chances of going to state. I've never gone to state in anything before.

Then, on tuesday, there will be play practice, and then the WSMA music competition, which I have kind of been dreading. Jazz band does not sound good, and my failure to nail the bass music is probably part of that. Brass choir is okay, but not great. And it goes until 9, and that is not a plus...two late nights in a row.

And then, on Wednesday, I believe I will be going to a Madison math meet. Even though that's traveling, I do really enjoy math meets, so I think it would be worth it. I like the idea of competing against the smartest around. It's not like we'll beat them, but I like the fact that we get closer every time.

And now, now is when I realize I fit the nerd bill so well. Forensics, drama, band, and math team. But they're all fun. Well, maybe not band so much.

1 comment:

becca said...

If it makes you feel better, I really like math meets too, and all of my friends look at me crazy when I tell them so.