Wednesday, December 09, 2009

And we'll say hello

Snnnnnnnnnnnnow Day!

The University of Wisconsin-Madison is notorious for its complete unwillingness to call a snow day (like, once in the last 20 years), but for whatever reason last night's blizzard was ridiculous enough to lead to cancelled classes. Having driven in it (and having to drive in it again tonight to go to work), I can say that it is pretty bad out there but I don't think this would qualify as one of the two worst snow storms in Madison of my lifetime. Ol' Chancellor Biddy must just be the charitable type when it comes to missing school.

I didn't get out of all that much today. Today was one-class Wednesday and I still have to go to work tonight, but at least I got to sleep in, eh? Plus I suppose there's just the added excitement of learning about it the night before. It makes you feel like a kid again. I got to enjoy hearing it from some of Evan's roommates, who are all characters. It's always a good time over there when everyone is together and last night wasn't an exception. Even though the power went out for 2 hours and it was freezing in there.

We've entered the last full week of classes, and boy will I be glad to be done with this semester. This semester's workload has been fairly insane and I'm looking forward to a jam-packed winter break...3 Christmas parties (with new sweatervestery to be purchased!), a Tampa weekend, a tentative MLC trip, and maybe a Badger hockey game sprinkled in here and there. I can't believe there used to be entire weeks where I had nothing going on...

I'm so excited for break because I'm so sick of school. The class load this semester has been enough to get me to consider a few different paths in college. I'm no longer a lock to be majoring in marketing. I still want to be doing the same type of thing as a career as before, but I think I might prefer another way to get there. The alternate major I'm considering is "Journalism-Strategic Communications" which admittedly sounds a bit more convoluted than marketing, but is described simply as a "blend of the studies of Advertising and Public Relations." That's more or less what I wanted out of Marketing, so I'm going to take the entry-level course for that major next semester to determine if it is a better fit for me than Marketing.

I still fail to fully understand what the best fit for me is, but that's a big part of your first few years of college, right? My qualms with marketing were that I have no interest or skill whatsoever in accounting, finance, management, or really any business-school factor that would be included in 'Marketing' but excluded from Strat Comm. However, the rhetoric and presentation of advertising is what got me fascinated by marketing in the first place. I have a hunch that I would thrive considerably more by building up that side of my interest than trying to force myself into a path I'm not as sure of.

So I haven't switched majors yet, but I'm taking next semester to decide. I built next semester's classes specifically to knock out required gen ed credits and keep both Journalism and Business doors open. This next semester is a big one.

I thought I had it all figured out by now...but I still kind of do. I know roughly what I want to do when I'm done with school. I'm just at a fork in the road - where both roads probably lead to more or less the same place anyway.

I'm hoping that maybe the whole "have everything figured out at age 18" thing is more my own mental creation than the reality.

Although, I'm gonna be 19 soon. Better get on it. Everyone knows THAT's the age where you need to have everything figured out.

See ya again in 3 days.

No comments: