Thursday, April 20, 2006

Perennially my least favorite day of the year

I am so sick of the 4/20 jokes. You don't smoke pot, and it's not cool to pretend you do. It's even less cool if you actually do smoke weed.

Today kind of sucked a lot. I don't know why. I guess I was in sort of a bad mood for some reason.

First off, the results from the Madison area math meet came back today. I usually do really well in math meets so I guess it's a self-esteem boost or something. So I was naturally a little upset to find out that I got 3 OUT OF 30 POSSIBLE POINTS. Meaning I got one question right...an easy question I'm sure. This also meant that I was:

1. The worst Lakeside participant, even losing to every freshman in math classes below mine.
2. Better than only about 12 Madison area math meet participants (out of, I don't know, 300?), who got either 2 points or none.

And for someone who's only competitive in academic competitions, that was like getting kicked in the face. After losing the Super Bowl.

I also discovered recently (was it today or yesterday? I'm not sure) that there's now no chance of our band playing before prom. We had pitched it to the committee, but it was overruled because they want to decorate the stage to the point where we would not fit up there. That's really a bite, I think, because I assume more people would gather enjoyment from a live band than from a few lousy decorations on a stage. Also, it may well be our only chance to perform before Evan graduates, which is something I definitely thought we should accomplish. I guess there's just no way to get a show around here, which is sad, because I finally feel good enough about us that I'm sure we'd be ready to perform in a week or two.

And today was probably about the 20th day in a row that I couldn't work up the backbone to ask anyone to the prom. It's stupid, I have a bunch of excuses, and they're all stupid. I guess that means tomorrow I will. Or something. I hope I do. I never even have before. I'm stupid.

Yes, I realize that this day was probably great compared to most people's days most of the time, but I don't know, I guess it was just a bummer enough to blog about. Because what's the point of having a blog except to recap what happened in the day and how you felt about it?

No comments: