Monday, April 03, 2006

To quote Rob Bell:

Anyone that's a sophomore at Lakeside knows who Rob Bell is. For those of you who don't, he's this guy who does all these videos for use in teen studies and such. His stuff is kind of on the cutting edge..."hip" if you will, but it's really great work. I learn a lot from it every time, and my personal favorite was one where he told a story about the time he went to the mall with his son. His son wanted some little trinket from one of the kiosks in the middle of the mall, but father-of-the-year Rob knew that it would break soon after they bought it. The kid, of course, was crushed, until they went to a sporting goods store, and Rob bought his son a big kickball, which was the whole point of the trip in the first place. Obviously, the kid was a lot happier with the kickball, and got a lot more use out of it. I just thought I'd put what Rob wrote about this particular volume of the series.

"We always think we know what’s missing from our lives in order to really make us happy, don’t we? If only I had that car, or that job, or if only I could lose those 15 lbs, then I’d be happy. Really? How often do we want something only to find out that it wasn’t that great after all? Sometimes we ask God for things and if he doesn’t deliver right away, we start questioning whether God really understands or even cares. Do we really trust God? Do we trust that God is good and sees a bigger picture than we ever could? It’s easy to want what’s right in front of us, but maybe God knows what’s better for us, and sometimes we just can’t see it. "

1 comment:

Anna said...

I love those videos so much. I really loved the last one we watched, but there has been something in every single one of them that really made me think.